Monday, April 14, 2008

What Am I Doing?


Time is flying by and I feel it slipping away! This morning I'm trying to do an assessment of what I've been doing, what I still need to do and how much time I have to do it in. Don't have time to blog and assess so I'm combining the two tasks.

1. Reading and taking notes from The Bridegroom's Messenger. This is a never-ending project. I used copies from microfilm for my PhD research (1907-1910) and that was a challenge, as the type is so small. I am now working through the years 1911-1917. It is even worse. Apparently the originals deteriorated and the copies I have not only have microscopic type but they have faded places, shadows running through them, fold lines, etc. I've scanned several years' worth and that allows me to "zoom" in and increase type size but it is still a huge challenge.
2. I managed to find a copy of the 1914 edition of J. H. King's From Passover to Pentecost on ebay for $10!!! Unheard of!! I've never even seen a copy of it. This is the original version and there are only about 5 extant copies...or so the historians thought! There may be more out there somewhere. Anyway, the later editions were edited somewhat and added to (by King). I can now compare/contrast the 2 and see what changed, speculate as to why, etc. You know, text criticism.
3. I've worked through another version of King's testimony of Spirit Baptism (from the 1914 book), comparing it to another version (reprinted in a book of his sermons).
4. I've read R. B. Hayes' and L. H. Rouse' books (early PH and COG) and recorded SB experiences.
5. I re-read The Whole Truth, this time looking for SB rather than healing testimonies.
6. Re-read The Doctrines and Discipline of the Azusa Street Apostolic Faith Mission of Los Angeles, Inc. with SB rather than healing in view.
7. Read The Promise (1 issue) an early Pentecostal publication out of Toronto.
8. Read Christ, God's Love Gift J. H. King sermons.
9. Read Religion and Healing in America and Healing in the History of Christianity and wrote a book review for Pneuma.
10. Did work for SPS, went to meeting, did more work for SPS following the meeting.
11. Did my annual review and projections paperwork for the Seminary.
12. Read/marked/graded a senior paper.
13. Read/marked and sat on dissertation committee, listened to defense for D.Min. project/dissertation.
14. Kept up/renewed correspondence with other Pentecostal scholars.

Still to do:
1. Finish The Bridegroom's Messenger
2. Re-read The Church of God Evangel
3. Re-read The Pentecostal Evangel.
4. Re-read Durham.
5. Look at early Pentecostal songs.
6. Read Estrelda Alexander's new book for review, Limited Liberty.

This is another PhD thesis!! Somebody stop me!

3 comments:

Fred said...

Kim, I'm in awe of your stamina. Honestly - you and Corky both are two choice servants of God...and I see you doing all these things because they motivate and energize you and you want to do them.

Jus' one pre-caution. I heard someone else give this advice which I think may be timely for both of you. "You don't have to die for the Church. Jesus already did that - so no one else needs too."

I do love reading both you and Corky's Blogs.

Don said...

One thing you--or someone--might consider is to have this microfilm scanned into pdf or other suitable data format.

I have an enormous amount of microfilm from my own family business and I know it's a pain to look at. (A rather pedestrian example of that is here.) Most scanners can scan 35 mm film, and that includes microfilm. The only problem with that is that, depending upon the scanner, you may have to cut the film up into short strips.

Another advantage of scanning is that you can do image processing. Frequently I'll put the file in Photoshop and play with the contrast, etc., to make the image easier to read. You can also do OCR with scanned images, which is really great (when it works!)

Corky Alexander said...

Awesome. I applaud your work, which is groundbreaking.