Saturday, September 8, 2007

Ray H. Hughes





Ray H. Hughes is the quintessential Classical Pentecostal Preacher. Visit this website which is a vast resource for Pentecostal historians but also a source of inspiration. I will never forget the many times I have heard Dr. Hughes preach. Beyond his preaching ability, however, Dr. Hughes has been an outstanding leader in Pentecostalism, known around the world. The newly released DVD series in which he is interviewed by David Roebuck reveals both the depth and breadth of his ministry. In those interviews, Hughes reflects on preaching in various venues around the world including Royal Albert Hall in London, Moscow, the World Pentecostal Fellowship in Jerusalem and the packed beyond capacity Hollywood Bowl when he was in his early 20s. Hughes further reflects on his relationships with Pentecostal leaders Donald Gee, Thomas Trask, Dr. Cho and others. In addition, it is revealed that Hughes was a true statesman representing Pentecostalism to Presidents Reagan, Carter and George H. W. Bush, often in meetings in which Billy Graham represented Evangelicalism.

I am privileged to know and work with Dr. Hughes. His office is two doors down from mine. He has eaten lunch (nearly always Mexican) with several of us on numerous occasions, sharing stories and insights. We have prayed together on many occasions. I owe a debt to Dr. Hughes, as he was the person responsible for our initial move to Cleveland, a move which led me to theological study. Later, he was president of the Seminary while I was a student, and president of the SGA.

If you had told me when I was worshiping God as he preached at NC Camp Meetings, when I was 18 years old, that I would one day be a colleague of Ray H. Hughes, I would not have dreamed it possible. My life has been blessed greatly through his ministry. Listen to him preach and yours will be too.

3 comments:

L A Brannen said...

I certainly remember when it would excite this young preacher (that would be about 45 years ago) to hear that Ray Hughes would be preaching. Yes! That guaranteed a great service. Then when I preached, I wanted to preach like Ray Hughes. I wanted that 'anointing'. Of course, I may have misinterpreted 'the anointing' for a spectacular delivery, but he had both. Now, that may not have been a theologically correct way to feel about any preacher but that is a bit of truth about me.

Fred said...

I have said often to my colleagues when the name inevitably came up - Dr. Hughes was the first preacher I ever remember willingly sitting through an entire camp meeting service without wanting/begging to go outside. As an 8 year old (maybe 9) he held me spell-bound in the Florida Camp-Meeting at Wimauma. In my mind I can still hear him painting a word-picture as he preached about the crucifixion of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Please visit our site www.rayhhughes.com.

DP